Search 2.0

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Happy Surprise, Update on Chocolate Chip Cookies


I thought I would share what happened to me last night. My husband  had made a request for chocolate chip cookies. I thought I had everything I needed to make them at the time., so I said OK.
  Then to discover I didn't have shortening one of the main ingredients. I looked all over my cupboards  for several minutes finally giving up. Since we live 15 miles from the closest grocery store I gave him the news that there would be" no cookies tonight."

Then I remembered I had a can of Lou Ana Coconut Oil, that I had purchased for making homemade soap. The stuff looked like shortening, so I thought I could substitute it for shortening. I looked on line and they recommended to use 75 % of what the recipe called for.

My recipe calls for 1 cup of shortening, so I put 3/4 cups coconut oil. The ingredients were mixing in my mixer when I found the shortening. I added 1/4 cup shortening to the coconut oil. That was the only deviation from my recipe.


My husband had always liked these cookies, his favorite way to eat them, was to dunk them in milk. His only complaint was they wouldn't soak up the milk. Now with the coconut oil they soak up the milk, and stay crispy, even when dunking. It changed the taste as well for the better. Try my recipe this way and let me know what you think. I know I will be experimenting some more.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH, ROSE!!! This is great!!!!! (and so were your cookies....I was just bragging about them to some friends in our nightly email). I'll keep checking in on your blog, for sure! Beth Almond Ford

    ReplyDelete