Search 2.0

Saturday, June 19, 2010

How to Freeze Blackberries

My first experience with fresh picked blackberries, was when I went to my mother-in-laws home in Oregon. The berries grow wild, they are plump sweet, and burst in to flavor when you bite them. At that time I was living in Arizona, I wanted so much to bring home fresh blackberries.

The first time I brought a cooler from home to try to bring home my blackberry treasure, I put the berries in a bag, on ice.placed them in the cooler. But half way home from Oregon , the berries turned to mush.

 Next I tried just taking them home in a open airy container, with the same results. I also tried freezing them just to wind up with blackberry soup. I came to the conclusion that blackberries are very perishable, and they don't travel well.




I now live in Virginia, and have wild blackberries all over the property. The local mountain  people have educated me on how to freeze blackberries properly. The fresh berries don't travel well, but I can make them into jams, cobblers, and pies. In or out of season.

Place blackberries on a baking sheet one layer. Place into freezer for 1 hour to freeze.
Now the berries have frozen separately, gather up scoop into freezer bag.

Label bag, put back in freezer. Now you can take out as much as you want. They won't freeze up in one big clump.

No comments:

Post a Comment